Bar Harbor and the surrounding villages have several options available for things to do for entertainment. One of the basic choices will be whether it is something that is done on the water, on land, or in the air. If you would like to take a more passive role, consider some tour of some kind. Besides exposing you to something new, there often is lots of interesting things to learn. Of course, there are options that may include more participation on your part. Pick and choose the ones that make a good fit and enjoy.
Various Locations in Bar Harbor
Usually held in August each year
A 5 day festival with concerts and events happening all around town, from outdoor cafes to the grand old art-deco Criterion Theatre, from the public Village Green, to local pubs and restaurants. The Festival features modern jazz, classics, and great vocalists as well. Founded in 2004, the Bar Harbor Jazz Festival hopes to add another dimension to the great history of music here in Bar Harbor.
Pier Location: 135 Shore Road, Manset, Southwest Harbor
Personalized captain services and sightseeing tours are available with U.S.C.G. Captain Robert Wellborn as an added option for people renting sailboats or powerboats. The narrated and personalized sightseeing trips are from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm and are by reservation only. You will appreciate his talks and being there to answer any of your questions.
Abbe Museum - Maine Indian Heritage
- Learn about the Maine Native tribes and people through exhibitions and programs that span 10,000 years of their history. View their art, crafts, and archeology. Hear their songs and stories.
Brewing Company, The
- Offers a free tour of their brewhouse in Town
Hill, Maine, where you may taste their award winning ales in
the Tasting Room. The Estate Brewery is designed with the age old
beer gardens of Germany and England in mind.
- Dive-In Theater with Diver Ed!
- Experience Maine's only underwater sightseeing trip direct from
the bottom of the sea! You remain dry on the boat as divers go down
with a video camera which you watch on a screen. Then, divers bring
their catch directly to you on the boat to answer questions.
Theater and Arts Center, The
- First opened in 1932, the Criterion Theater went through a dramatic revitalization of its exquisite art deco interior
as well as having its stage redone to accommodate its great lineup
of nationally known talent and local theater productions. First run
movies are also shown. Located at 35 Cottage Street in Bar
Maine Lumberjack Show, The
- As seen on ESPN and MTV's Real World, The Great Maine Lumberjack
Show, located in Trenton, Maine,
provides family edu-tainment about the famous lumberjacks of the
- Island Astronomy Institute
- Get your hands on a telescope, we make it easy! Lessons, rentals,
activities, and more on a historic pier. The universe is waiting
for you on the Quiet Side. "It's like no place on Earth."
- Mount Desert Oceanarium
- Learn about the ocean, marshes, and their inhabitants. See lobsters and have their life cycle explained at the Lobster Hatchery
and the Lobster Museum. There is a Gift Shop for special items related
to the Maine coast. There are two locations - one in Bar Harbor and
the other in Southwest Harbor, both on Mount Desert Island.
Trolly Sightseeing Tour
- This is a great way to see the sites of Acadia National Park when
you want to leave the driving to someone else. There are 1 and 2
1/2 hour tours available depending upon the season so check with
the web site.
- Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf
- Entertaining miniature golf theme park made around the adventures and legends of famous pirates - complete with caves, footbridges, and cascading waterfalls.
Enjoy the Entertainment!